Now that we know the dangers of Bisphenol A (BPA) in plastic containers, we need to seek out BPA-free alternatives for our food and beverage containers. I recently listed some safer alternatives for children’s bottles and sippy cups and now I have found some safer options for food such as snack containers, plates, and lunch boxes.
I don’t know about you but whenever we head out of the house with our toddler, we always make sure we have a snack and drink along for him. I imagine it’s the same for many other parents out there. Have you been relying on plastic (disposable) baggies? Or maybe small plastic bowls with lids? I have found a few options for snack containers that will reduce waste and are BPA-free:
- Stainless Steel bowls: I found these stainless steel food prep bowls with lids and think they would be perfect for transporting snacks. They are the perfect size and have lids. A set of four bowls and four lids sells for about $17.
- Kids Konserve Stainless Steel Round Container: These great containers are another great option for a safer way to take snacks on the go. They also have an even smaller option: mini stainless steel containers.
- Boon Snack Ball: This fun, sphere-shaped snack container is BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free.
Lunch Containers – On the Go
If you need to send a lunch to school with your child, there are several great BPA-free options. Some of these would be great for you, too!
- LunchBots: These stainless steel lunch boxes can be used for your lunches or snacks.
- Kids Konserve Waste-Free Lunch Kit: This wonderful lunch kit comes in several style choices and contains two of their Kids Konserve stainless steel round containers. It also comes with everything else your child will need for lunch on the go: a stainless steel bottle, sandwich wrap, cloth napkin/place mat, and a recycled cotton sack (with drawstring) to carry it all in. What a great way to reduce waste!
- Stainless Steel Tiffins: I found several stackable stainless steel tiffins. To-Go Ware To-Go Ware Two Tier Stainless Steel Lunch Box: This stainless steel lunch box comes with two stackable containers and a small condiment container. Each container can be used alone and the lid can also be used as a plate.
- Bubee Stainless Steel Vacumm Lunch Jar: This stainless steel lunch jar contains two layers and keeps food hot or cold forup to five hours.
- PlanetBox Lunch Box. Stainless steel lunch box that’s part Bento, part TV tray.
Eating at Home
Here are some safer options for kids eating at home:
- Thinkbaby Feeding Set: This cool orange feeding set contains a baby bowl with lid, soup bowl with lid, bento box with air tight lid, cup, fork, and spoon. The pieces have a stainless steel interior and polypropylene exterior. They are free of BPA, PVC, phthalates, lead, and melamine.
- Bambu Kids Organic Plate and Utensils: These items made of bamboo are another great options for kids. They have a spoon and fork for babies, another set for kids, and a spork.
- Green Sprouts Cornstarch Dishes: This feeding set is made from a cornstarch-based eco-friendly plastic that is BPA, PVC, phthalate, and petroleum free. Products available include a baby bowl, divided plate, and a fork and spoon set.
- Boon Groovy Interlocking Plate and Bowl Set: This unique feeding set has four compartments to keep food separate. It contains a toddler-sized plate with two compartments and two small bowls that can be placed anywhere on the edge of the plate. It is available in orange/white or pink/white. Like the snack ball, this product is BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free.
- Boon Toddler Catch Bowl: Boon also makes a bowl designed to catch food and funnel it back into the bowl. Also BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free, this bowl is available in orange/white or pink/white.
- Boon ModWare Toddler Utensils: Boon also makes toddler utensils which are BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free and are available in orange/white or pink/white to coordinate with the rest of their feeding products.
- Boon Saucer Stay-Put Divided Plate: This plate features devided sections to keep food separate as well as a unique edgeless design prevents little hands from lifting it off the table. This product is BPA-free, phthalate-free, and PVC-free
- Yamazaki Tantalyn Feeding Set: This stainless steel set includes a 6″ feeding spoon, a fork and spoon set, and a 6″ dish with large handles for easy gripping.