I recently wrote about dangerous and harmful ingredients in toothpaste (and shared natural options). Today I want to share some natural and homemade mouthwash options, which will leave your mouth clean and healthy. These options also happen to be fluoride free.
Dangerous Ingredients in Mouthwash
To demonstrate the types of ingredients in mainstream mouthwashes, let’s look at a couple examples:
- Listerine Advanced Citrus: Rating a 5 on EWG’s cosmetics database, here are the ingredients: Active Ingredients: Eucalyptol (0.092%), Menthol (0.042%), Methyl Salicylate (0.060%), Thymol (0.064%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Alcohol (21.6%), Sorbitol Solution, Flavoring, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Sucralose, Sodium Benzoate, FD&C yellow no. 6, FD&C red no. 40.
- ACT Cool Splash Spearmint: Rating a 6 on EWG’s cosmetics database, here are the ingredients: Active Ingredients: Sodium Fluoride (0.05%) (0.02% w/v Fluoride Ion) (Anticavity) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Alcohol (11%), Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Saccharin, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Disodium Phosphate, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Green 3, Yellow 10.
Are you starting to recognize the names of these ingredients? They are in many mainstream products so you will see them over and over again. As you read that list, do you even KNOW what many of those ingredients are? That’s often a good rule; if you don’t know what they are or can’t pronounce them, don’t buy it.
Natural Oral Care / Gum Health / Mouthwash for Adults
There are some great options for natural oral care out there. Here are a few options:
- Dental Miracle is a dental powder product that you add to other toothpastes during brushing. It can also be used as a gargle and as a soothing agent for specific areas that are sensitive and painful. It’s made of extremely beneficial herbal ingredients to protect and promote gum health. It is certified Vegan and there is No Animal Testing, No Animal By-Products, and No Animal Cruelty. You can buy Dental Miracle on Amazon.com.
- Peri-Gum is a liquid tincture made with cayenne pepper and six other herbal extracts and essential oils, known by herbal health authorities for their ability to improve oral health. It promotes gum tissue circulation and rapid healing. Since it is a mouthwash concentrate, add a few drops to water and then swish it around your mouth. Peri-Gum is animal free and has been awarded the vegan seal. You can buy Peri-Gum on Amazon.com.
- Miessence has a good mouthwash as well; it got a 0 rating on the cosmetics database (which is the best you can get). When you look at the ingredients you can see why; it is mostly made from essential oils.
- JASON Natural Cosmetics has a few types of mouthwash that get a 1 rating on the cosmetics database, specifically the NutriSmile, PowerSmile Super Refreshing, and the Sea Fresh Biologically-Active.
Make Your Own Natural Mouthwash
- 2 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops Myrrh essential oil
- 2 drops Tea tree essential oil
- 4 oz. distilled water
Mix all ingredients in a clean bottle. Before each use, shake the bottle to mix ingredients. Swish an appropriate amount of the mixture in your mouth after brushing your teeth.
For the bottle, I would recommend using a glass bottle (instead of plastic); something with a twist off top is nice. I had an empty Kombucha bottle and that worked well.
Wendy – ParentingTips365.com
[This article contains affiliate links that may support Parentingtips365.]