Last year I wrote about the dangers of ingredients common in sunscreens and shared the Environmental Working Group‘s (EWG) sunscreen ratings. Look back to my article to refresh yourself on the dangerous ingredients that should be avoided in sunscreens: Oxybenzone, Vitamin A, parabens, fragrance, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), and synthetic ethoxylated ingredients, including those with myreth, oleth, laureth, ceteareth, any other “eth,” PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, or oxynol.
EWG recently released their 2011 Sunscreen Guide, which provides a handy way to find your sunscreen and see its rating, as well as find the best and safest sunscreen for your needs.
New FDA Rules on Sunscreen
At first it might seem like good news has finally arrived: after 33 years of deliberations, the FDA has finally issued sunscreen rules. But looking closer, EWG feels the rules do not do enough to protect us from the sun and instead caved to industry. Dangerous ingredients are still allowed and UVA protection standards are not on par with the strict ones in Europe, making it hard for customers to differentiate between mediocre and superior products.
What Would I Buy?
EWG lists 134 beach/sport sunscreens (out of 1783) that earned their best rating. Some of the sunscreens in that list still contain lots of “chemical” sounding ingredients. Here are a few of the top sunscreens that I would personally choose for myself and my family: (This list has changed from last year.)
- Kabana Skin Care Green Screen: Made with only EIGHT organic (86% certified organic!) and natural ingredients.
- Badger: They also have a lip balm and face stick.
- Loving Naturals: They also have a vegan sunscreen.
- Caribbean Solutions: It’s also biodegradable.
- Doctor T’s Supergoop! Quickstick SPF 30: Convenient size, easy to use for babies and kids.
- Goddess Garden Baby Natural Sunscreen: Although they have others for kids and face, I would choose the baby one.
- Aubrey Organics Sports Stick Unscented: The sports stick version seems good to me!
You can easily shop for these items and more in my Amazon store!
What Did I Buy? Loving Naturals!
I purchased Loving Naturals and have been very happy with it! I will write a more detailed review in the near future.
Follow me on Facebook!
(If you like this article, share it with your friends by using the buttons below!)
Wendy – ParentingTips365.com
[This article contains affiliate links that may support Parentingtips365.]