What is important to many of us regarding food?
- eating healthy
- simple meals
- quick meals
- accessible ingredients
I’m excited to share a cookbook with you that covers all those aspects! Even if you aren’t a “full-time vegetarian”, you may be interested in eating this way now and then. This book can be great for everyone!
The Best 30-Minute Vegetarian Recipes
The Best 30-Minute Vegetarian Recipes contains varied and delicious recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less! Author Marie-Claude Morin is a well-known redio personality, recipe developer, and bestselling cookbook author.
What’s In The Book?
The introduction provides tips for using the recipes, as well as a list of pantry essentials. The 150 recipes are divided into the following categories:
- Main Dishes
Tempt Your Palate
Among the recipes are classics as well as new and interesting combinations. Here are just a few of the recipes included:
- Bean Dip
- Feta Cheese Bites
- Wild Rice Salad
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- Spinach Quiche
- Pesto Pizza
- Vegetable Curry
- Mini Lasagnas
- Three-Bean Omelet
- Veggie Burger
- Ricotta Coconut Cake
This is a great book to have for not only vegetarians but for those of us who like to have a meatless meal now and then. While it says 30-minute meals, the first time I made a meal it took me longer than that. I should also point out that it usually takes me longer to make a new meal the first time. The second time I made the same meal it was much closer to 30 minutes, as long as you multi-tasked the steps appropriately. Here are a few other things I liked:
- Color Photos: There are several gorgeous color photos of some amazing recipes!
- Healthy: I was impressed by the author’s dedication to using real ingredients.
- Two units of measure: For each recipe, the measurements are in English units and metric.
Where to Buy
As a bonus, I can share with you a recipe from the book!
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni
Don’t have much time? This recipe takes just a few steps.
Makes 8 small cannelloni
- Preheat broiler
- 8-inch (20 cm) square glass baking dish, greased
- 4 spinach lasagna noodles (see Tip,below)
- 1 tsp olive oil (5 mL)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped (750 mL)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (125 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (300 mL)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Emmental cheese (250 mL)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions until tender but firm. Drain and rinse under hot water. Drain well and cut crosswise in half.
- Filling: In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in spinach until wilted. Remove from heat and stir in ricotta.
- Spoon filling equally onto one end of each piece of lasagna, roll up and place in a baking dish, seam side down.
- Béchamel: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and sauté for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer,, whisking constantly. Simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour béchamel evenly over cannelloni. Top with cheese and a little paprika. Broil about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Tip: The flat lasagna noodles without curly edges work best for this recipe.
Spinach, Roasted Pepper, and Basil Cannelloni: Reduce the spinach to 2 cups (500 mL) and add 1 roasted red bell pepper, finely chopped, with the ricotta. Stir 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh basil into the béchamel with the salt and pepper.
In case you don’t know what Emmental cheese is (like I didn’t) it’s a type of Swiss cheese.
Excerpted from The Best 30-Minute Vegetarian Recipes by Marie-Claude Morin. Photographs copyright © 2009 Headlight, Text © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
[Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the publisher Robert Rose Inc. With that being said, the comments and opinions above are purely my own.]
Follow me on Facebook!
(If you like this article, share it with your friends by using the buttons below!)
Wendy – ParentingTips365.com
[This article contains affiliate links that may support Parentingtips365.]