Are you looking for a gluten free alternative to pumpkin pie this fall?
Or maybe just a healthier dessert for the family?
Do you love all things pumpkin in October?
No matter your reason, I have a great dessert for you to try: PUMPKIN PIE CHIA PUDDING!
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
As I shared in another chia seed pudding recipe, chocolate coconut chia pudding, there are many great health benefits of chia seeds. Chia seeds are an incredible superfood! Here are a few of their health benefits:
- Very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which most of us tend to be deficient in
- High in protein, calcium, potassium, and iron
- Contain the trace mineral boron, which helps transfer calcium into the bones
- Higher in antioxidant strength than blueberries
- Great source of fiber
You can read my previous article for more information about chia seeds and for the chocolate coconut chia pudding recipe. Now that you are excited to try chia seeds, here are the ingredients you will need to gather for this fall treat:
-2 cups milk (I used raw milk)
-1 cup organic pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
-4 Tbsp. raw honey
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
-1/4 tsp ginger powder
-1/4 tsp allspice*
-6 Tbsp. chia seeds
* If you don’t have allspice, like I didn’t, you can substitute the following: 1/8 tsp. cinnamon + 1/8 tsp. cloves + 1/8 tsp. nutmeg. (I found that substitution recipe here.)
NOTES ON INGREDIENTS:
1. Even though I used raw milk, other types of milk such as nut milks or coconut milk may be used. The type of milk used will affect the flavor. In my chocolate coconut chia pudding recipe, I used almond milk and coconut milk, but I think I will be trying that recipe with raw milk (in order to avoid some of the not-so-good ingredients in those nut milks, like carrageenan). Also, if you choose to use nut or coconut milk this could then be a DAIRY FREE DESSERT!
2. You can also try maple syrup instead of the honey, and you can try a bit less of it if you want.
3. Need a vegan dessert? Use nut or coconut milk and use maple syrup (instead of honey).
4. If you have a Costco membership, check out your local store for chia seeds. My Costco carries them and at a GREAT value!
1. Place all ingredients, EXCEPT CHIA SEEDS, into a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Put chia seeds into a storage bowl with a lid (such as a glass Pyrex storage bowl) and pour pumpkin mixture over them.
3. Whisk until well blended.
4. Place lid on bowl and refrigerate for 8-10 hours. Whisk once or twice during that time.
Wow, was this pudding amazing! It truly does taste like pumpkin pie! And it satisfies your sweet tooth without all the “junk” in most deserts. It truly is a healthy option. And bonus – my kids even liked it!
The first time I made this, the first few bites were perfect but by the end of the bowl the spices were a bit strong. For my second attempt at making this, I reduced the amount of cinnamon+nutmeg+cloves I used (instead of 1/8 tsp each I still used the 1/8 tsp spoon but did not fill it up). The results were perfect! Not quite as overpowering of a flavor yet still very tasty!
And speaking of tasty, I think next time I need to try this with chocolate chips on top! 😉
What do you think? Try it and let me know!
And as we say in Texas: Happy Fall, Ya’ll!
Follow me on Facebook!
(If you like this article, share it with your friends by using the buttons below!)
Wendy – ParentingTips365.com
Read all the posts in the Healthy Living series by clicking on the icon on the left.
[This article contains affiliate links that may support Parentingtips365.]